Looking for a Kern DKM3

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Yaroshio
(@yaroshio)
Member Member
Topic starter

I’m interested in acquiring a Kern DKM3 theodolite in very good, working condition.  Does anyone have one they’d be interested in selling?  Feel free to PM me if so.

Posted : July 22, 2022 9:33 am
JOHN NOLTON
(@john-nolton)
Member Member

I have on of those. It has autocollimation eyepiece and a striding level with tripod. It also has elbow eyepiece;

all in excellent condition.

JOHN NOLTON

Posted : July 22, 2022 7:49 pm
JOHN NOLTON
(@john-nolton)
Member Member

Yaroshio, What are you going to use the Kern DKM3 for?  Have you ever used on before?

JOHN NOLTON

Posted : July 23, 2022 11:26 am

Get the 2023 SurveyorConnect Wall Calendar

Yaroshio
(@yaroshio)
Member Member
Topic starter

@john-nolton, I’ve never used a DKM3 before (I have a Wild T1A that I use).  I’m interested in trying it for tacheometry, but I’m even more interested in the DKM3 for its aesthetic value: it’s just a beautifully elegant piece of engineering, and a nice reminder of another time and way of doing things.  It seems like the most refined of any of the optical theodolites.  I know it can be used for sighting position from astronomical observations, so I may try to learn how to do that as well, just for fun. 

Posted : July 23, 2022 11:55 am
JOHN NOLTON
(@john-nolton)
Member Member

@yaroshio The Kern DKM3 and the DKM3A  reading of the horizontal and vertical circle is different than 

other Kern Theodolite's. This is an expensive piece of equipment and I think you would better off with

a Wild T3000 if all you want to do is play with it for tacheometry. Without adding things up I would say my instrument,

which has been cleaned and adjusted by Hans Rieder (an old Kern man) would cost $7,000 plus shipping.

This is a lot of money just to play with it. As you say it is a very "elegant piece of engineering"

One last thing I would very leary to ship it to Ohio although I would insure it.

Posted : July 23, 2022 12:29 pm